Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear (Five)

Let me start this one by sharing something that I think is important for you to understand:  I don't get hit on by non-crazy men.  Never, at any point, in a restaurant or at the movies or at the library or at the grocery store, has a respectable, sober man randomly complimented me or expressed in any way that he would like to make sweet love to me at some point in the future.

But while waiting for the bus?  Frequently.  And by drunken and/or homeless men?  Absolutely. 

I would like to think this is because I'm so stunningly beautiful that males need to be in a generally addled state to work up the courage to make advances on me.  I'd like to think that, but it's not true.  I'm not what you'd call a "looker."  I'm about as average as you can get. 

However, something about me must attract attention.  Sometimes it's the dimples, which I typically forget I have, but which are a source of endless fascination for some people.  (Obviously I haven't learned to "work them" to get what I want, but I'm looking into that.)  I don't have junk in the trunk.  I'm an A-cup.  But for whatever reason, crazy guys love me.

Just the other day, as I hurried to my stop, I passed a man who surveyed me and proclaimed emphatically that he would "hit that."

Thank you, sir.

A couple months ago, as I waited patiently for the bus, a disheveled man staggered up, complimented me on my hair, and asked me to the movies.

Thanks, but no thanks.

The best was the drunken man who approached me asking for money.  The conversation went like this:

HIM: "Can I have a dollar?"
ME:  "Sorry, I don't have any cash."
HIM:  "How bout some gum?"
ME: (Oh what the hell, I actually have the gum.)  "Sure."
HIM:  "How bout your phone number?"

Yes, because you meet all the right criteria for someone I want calling me.  And I don't see how asking me for money is the best segue into asking me out.  But I see where I unintentionally gave him a glimmer of hope -- if she's willing to give me gum, what else will she be willing to offer?  If I can reach out and touch her over the phone, maybe I can do so in person as well.  You never know.

5 comments:

Pearl said...

Ah-ha ha ha!!! I was hit at recently at a Wendy's!

Still got it!!!

Pearl

p.s. You DO need to learn to work them dimples. They're cute as hell.

p.p.s. Have linked you on my blogroll!

Courtney said...

Thanks much, Pearl!!

Liz said...

Hahaha.. I have had a remarkably similar occurence... I was highly insulted that he asked for the dollar FIRST, then my number.. perhaps in the reverse order he might have had a chance, but then again, maybe not.

And, to me you are far above average in every way.

Alisa Walters said...

The progression I'd always get was a dollar, a cigarette, a date. Man, that 7th and Hennepin bus stop is a killer.

Char said...

I have the same issue. Drunken men, homeless men, men with mental illnesses, they all seem drawn to me especially when I am on transit.

Maybe it is the dimples. I have the one and maybe it is the crazy magnet. When I was a kid I used to use them to get stuff.."oh look at me I am so cute with my dimples" but as an adult it hasn't done me any good. Let me know when you learn how to harness the power of the dimps.